The Award Winning UMass Dining offers a wide variety of world cuisine with a mission to put students first. UMass Dining offers Get Well Meals to students who are unable to dine due to an illness. The Get Well Meals include comfort items and are packaged for pick up.
Get Well Meals include:
- Hot Soup
- Fresh Fruit
- Ginger Ale
- Hot Tea
- Flavored Jello
Ordering a Get Well Meal is convenient:
- Contact the management staff of the dining commons closest to your residence hall
- Place your meal order and pick up time
- A friend/roommate/Resident Assistant will bring your ID card to the dining commons to process the meal
- Your friend will deliver it to your room
Meals can be customized on a case by case basis. Our goal is to offer comfort to the student while they recovers from an illness. If students have any questions or concerns regarding the ingredients or nutritional information of the Get Well Meals, please contact Dianne Sutherland at [email protected]
Dining Commons Contacts:
Berkshire DC: Heather Scoble [email protected] 413-545-2075
Franklin DC: Marc Morrissette [email protected] 413-687-3365
Worcester DC: Luanne Wu [email protected] 413-559-7069
Hampshire DC: Selina Fournier [email protected] 413-577-5160
Below are some nutritional guidelines to fight the cold or flu:
- Eat fresh vegetables and fruits, which contain phytochemicals that help give the vitamins in food a magnified effect.
- Avoid mucous-forming foods. Large amounts of dairy products can be a problem for some people.
- Excess amounts of sugar and alcohol can impair the immune system.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and soda because caffeine acts as a diuretic. Drink decaffeinated herbal teas, poultry or vegetable broths.
- Consuming foods high in Vitamin C and zinc have been shown to boost the immune system.